The Hampton-Chaplin Ambulance Corps is a shared service between the towns of Hampton and Chaplin providing R-1 (First Responder) and R-2 (BLS Transport) services. While a separate organization from the Fire Department, the ambulance vehicle is housed in rented space at the Hampton Fire House on West Old Route Six.
The 20-30 volunteer drivers, EMT's, and MRT's who staff the ambulance receive regular training as required by Federal, State and OSHA regulations as well as their own protocols.
Medical control is provided by Windham Community Memorial Hospital. They also work closely with the Paramedics from Windham Hospital (Medic-31) on call requiring Advanced Life Support services (ALS).
The Ambulance is dispatched by Quinebaug Valley Emergency Communications (QVEC), the regional 911 dispatch center for Eastern CT, located in Danielson , CT.
Medical insurance is billed for ambulance calls.
Early in 1955, the American Legion Post 106 took the initiative and began a 15 member volunteer ambulance service for Hampton and Chaplin. Within a few months they had enough money from private donations and various fundraising activities to buy a used ambulance. So, following the Memorial Day ceremony, several Post members went to Worcester to pick it up.
The ambulance was repaired and ready for service on July 4th. The first call came in August during the Putnam flood. The ambulance was used to take fresh water and clothing to aid in the rescue.
Today, thousands of calls later, these EMT's and MRT's are modern-day heroes who serve the community with highly specialized lifesaving and rescue equipment. Their slogan - "We Risk Ours to SAVE Yours" - is proof of their commitment to anyone who needs their help.
Text from 'Hampton... a very special place'; used with permission.