164 Main Street, Hampton, CT 06247                                                                 Mailing: P. O. Box 143, Hampton, CT 06247

Phone: (860) 455-9132
Fax: (860) 455-0517

Tuesdays: 9:00a-4:00p
Thursdays: 10:00a-7:00p;  Bldg Dept: 6:00p-8:00p Thursdays Only

 

Hampton Antiquarian and Historical Society



The Hampton Antiquarian and Historical Society was founded in 1968 and in 1974, acquired this remarkable property and immediately began careful restoration of the house and ground. Today, a walk through this 2-story treasure will delight every member of the family. 

The original portion of the house was built in 1834 by Thomas Neff for Charles Button, who rented the house to tenants. In 1853, he sold it to Joel and Lydia Searles. The outbuilding, where Joel once worked as a cobbler, can still be seen behind the house. 

When Mary Burnham acquired the house in 1897, she added the ell and took in boarders from time to time... prominent among them were the chauffeurs of the wealthy families who spent weekends in the country, as well as school teachers, road workers and men hired to eliminate and infestation of gypsy moths! By the time the house passed to her daughter, Mildred (Burnham) Hibbard, Hampton was a bustling community whose residents used many of the "new" inventions of the day to improve their lives. You will see some of them - along with the furniture, textiles, ceramics, toys, tools and other Hampton memorabilia of the earlier centuries - when you visit this "living museum."
 
The Burnham-Hibbard House is open to the public twice a year: once after the Memorial Day Parade and again on the second Sunday in December for an old-fashioned Holiday Open House featuring music and yummy treats to eat and drink. For all other visits (a personal or group tour, a small reception or gathering of friends), you can make an appointment by calling Sue Hochstetter at 455-0783 any evening before 9:00 p.m.
Text from 'Hampton... a very special place'; written by Barbara Andersen; used with permission.
 
In 2000, with the assistance of a grant from the Connecticut Humanities Council, the Society published Discovering Hampton: a Connecticut Town, written for the Society by member, Janice Trecker. The book was awarded the Betty M. Linsley Award by the Association for the Study of Connecticut History. Copies are available through the Society. The Society has also been involved in the documentation and photography of gravestones in Hampton's five historic cemeteries.
 
The Society publishes a newsletter titled Now and Then, which is mailed to all members prior to the Society's scheduled programs.

Annual dues are:
Individual: $5.00 Family: $10.00 Lifetime: $75.00

Mailing address: 
Hampton Antiquarian and Historical Society
P.O. Box 12
Hampton, CT 06247-0012

For additional information or to schedule an appointment to tour the museum, please write to the Society or contact Robert Burgoyne or Susan Hochstetter at (860) 455-0783.
 
 
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
President:                              Susan Hochstetter
Vice President:                      Dave Goodrich
Recording Secretary:             Bob Burgoyne
Treasurer:                              June Miller
Correspondence Secretary:   Angelika Hansen
Members:                             Richard Prario
                                            Jean Wierzbinski
                                            Laura Petix

COMMITTEE CHAIRPERSONS
Museum:  Susan Hochstetter
Property: Dave Goodrich
Resources
Members
President
Susan Hochstetter
Vice-President
Dave Goodrich
Secretary
Robert Burgoyne
Treasurer
June Miller
Secretary
Angelika Hansen
Member
Laura Petix
Richard Prario
Jean Wierzbinski
Location
185 Main Street
Meeting Time
Memorial Day
2nd Sunday in December
By Appointment, call Sue at 860 455-0783.
 |  Home  |  Town Hall  |  Boards & Commissions  |  Community  |  Event Calendar |  About Hampton |  Pay Your Taxes |  Resources |  Selectman's Blog | 

© Copyright - 2014 - All rights reserved
Town of Hampton, Connecticut.
Translate this site